Quantcast

CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

nowphp
Hi all,

I know CodeIgniter. Now I would like to learn CakePHP. How can I
start ?? Which is the easiest way ?? How much difference between
CodeIgniter and CakePHP ??

If you have any helpful material please share with me.

Thanks,

Foysal

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

ersindemirtas
I think CakePHP is better then CodeIgniter much better documentation. Plus you have experience already which makes you better if I was you I would jump into documentation and learn if you are stack then come here.

I think most of people don't like reading,  every programmer should read the documentation first to check if the framework meets his/hers requirements.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Feb 2012, at 02:03 PM, nowphp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know CodeIgniter. Now I would like to learn CakePHP. How can I
> start ?? Which is the easiest way ?? How much difference between
> CodeIgniter and CakePHP ??
>
> If you have any helpful material please share with me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Foysal
>
> --
> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

bigfish0711
i like cakephp better, now in working , i coding with ci, but i like ci, no layouts, no elements, but it just have easy model, no maps.

In other words, some functions you must build them by manual,for example layouts,elements,orm,pageTitle and so on...

My english is poor, I 'm sorry, maybe, someone can guess what I said.

I'm a coder, I've been working for four years,I studied cakephp,ci,symfony,django,and I like english, I'm learning it, maybe I can get some helps form here.

In coding, I think, middle project cakephp is the best choice, little, it's ci, big it's symfoy/zend!

thanks.

2012/2/2 Ersin DEMIRTAS <[hidden email]>
I think CakePHP is better then CodeIgniter much better documentation. Plus you have experience already which makes you better if I was you I would jump into documentation and learn if you are stack then come here.

I think most of people don't like reading,  every programmer should read the documentation first to check if the framework meets his/hers requirements.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Feb 2012, at 02:03 PM, nowphp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know CodeIgniter. Now I would like to learn CakePHP. How can I
> start ?? Which is the easiest way ?? How much difference between
> CodeIgniter and CakePHP ??
>
> If you have any helpful material please share with me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Foysal
>
> --
> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

Stephen Speakman
Hi Foysal

CakePHP and CI are quite different. The main differences I've seen most people pointing out (usually in the favour of codeigniter) are as follows:

  1. Codeigniter is "speedy" and lightweight, CakePHP is too "heavy" and slow.
    My opinion: Speed is more or less a hype, there are many ways to speed up an application including caching which CakePHP does fantastically.

  2. Codeigniter has better documentation than CakePHP making it easier to learn.
    My opinion: The CakePHP documentation is wonderful, it has been improved upon over the years and the handy search/tree structure makes it easy to find what you want. Codeigniter has a simple documentation because it doesn't *seem* to provide as much as CakePHP out of the box.

  3. CakePHP is too strict or too complicated, CI lets me do things how I want.
    My opinion: CakePHP does require you to play by the rules or it may throw a fit, this can be annoying at first but it's a damn fine set of rules anyhow. CI is handy for those people who want to "re-invent the wheel" but CakePHP provides you with so much useful functionality that makes coding an application so much faster.
I don't think it should be called "CakePHP vs Codeigniter" per-say, I think they're two very different frameworks and you should pick the one best suited to your style. But as I said this is all my early opinion and I have much more to learn about CI before I can say this is "fact".

Here's a very simple "create" action for codeigniter, I was using "DataMapper" for ORM and WilliamConcept's Template Library.

Here's the same simple action in CakePHP (much to be improved upon in both examples)

I've since been informed CI Validation can save time importing the post data (however I think DataMapper may override the validation for it's ORM) and that there is a better way to redirect.

Personally I find CakePHP much more efficient because it saves me a lot of time and does the job how I would expect it to be done if it were done properly. (Not to say I haven't been frustrated at CakePHP not doing something, we all have I assume)

My 2 cents.
 Stephen

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

Stephen Speakman
Oops my bad on the example pastie!

The CI version should be $this->user->username = etc, not $this->username. Simple mistake out of tiredness.

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

dwi priyanto
I think to work on big project, using yii more humanly(:D). I can
manage file more easily better than using cake or ci

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

euromark (munich)
-1 for the last comment ;)

On 7 Feb., 10:05, dwi priyanto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think to work on big project, using yii more humanly(:D). I can
> manage file more easily better than using cake or ci

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

AD7six

On Feb 7, 10:05 am, dwi priyanto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think to work on big project, using yii more humanly(:D). I can
> manage file more easily better than using cake or ci

Personally: I have to question the motivation of someone who's single
off-topic post to a cakephp list is to say "I prefer using yii" on a
(not really on-topic) thread comparing it to a different framework.

AD

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

archF6
CakePHP makes you a better programmer.  Seriously.  Object Oriented
books and tutorials are far too abstract; you really see the benefit
in the real world with a framework like Cake.  Code Igniter is great
too, but if you make lazy mistakes, it will let you.

Ultimately the best framework is the one that allows you to build the
best applications as quickly as possible.  Performance tuning can be
done in so many other more effective ways, it's not worth worrying
about the 1% speed improvement your framework provides.

The Cake API is the perfect documentation once you familiarize
yourself with it.  Would be nice to see all acceptable options params
listed in there, but I understand why that's not realistic.

But ask yourself why you want to learn Cake though; or why you should
if you already know another framework well.  That might be a better
question.