Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

huoxito
I just begun to study how to test my app on cake book, downloaded the
latest simple test package available but when I tried to browse myapp/
test,php , as the cakebook suggests, I got this error saying that
theres a missing file, arguments.php, which is really missing as it is
not in the simpletest directory, it did't came along with the
downloaded package.

Anyone had the same problem? already did some research on google but
got nothing so far...

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

kadanis
I had this problem too.  A little searching and reading up on the
SimpleTest bug tracker and I found out the following.

This isn't a Cake issue, its a SimpleTest one.  arguments.php is a
file called internally in the SimpleTest code and it isn't in the
download for 1.1 alpha or 1.0.1.

There is an issue already in the issue tracker for SimpleTest at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3100649&group_id=76550&atid=547455

it recommends downloading the arguments.php file directly from the SVN
repo http://simpletest.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simpletest/simpletest/trunk/arguments.php

However this leads on to another issue......

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

iammikek
hi kadanis

On Tue, November 2, 2010 12:15 pm, kadanis wrote:

> I had this problem too.  A little searching and reading up on the
> SimpleTest bug tracker and I found out the following.
>
> This isn't a Cake issue, its a SimpleTest one.  arguments.php is a
> file called internally in the SimpleTest code and it isn't in the
> download for 1.1 alpha or 1.0.1.
>
> There is an issue already in the issue tracker for SimpleTest at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3100649&group_id=76550&atid=547455
>
> it recommends downloading the arguments.php file directly from the SVN
> repo
> http://simpletest.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simpletest/simpletest/trunk/arguments.php
>
> However this leads on to another issue......

Yup. seems thats just moved the problem..

I'm wondering then whether its worth using an even older version of
simpletest? theres got to be a version that works somewhere.

--
Mike Karthauser
Managing Director - Brightstorm Ltd

Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.brightstorm.co.uk
Tel:  07939 252144 (mobile)
Fax: 0870 1320560

Address: 1 Brewery Court, North Street, Bristol, BS3 1JS

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

kadanis
A bit of further research and I've found a post on the CakePHP bug
reports regarding this.  The CakePHP dev team know about the issue,
it's to do with a change in SimpleTest from using $this->ClassName()
to $this->__construct(), among other things.

As the 1.1alpha version of SimpleTest is still not "entirely" stable,
Mark Story (from CakePHP dev team) said on the bug tracker that they
wouldn't be making changes to Cake core files until SimpleTest was in
stable release.  Which is fair enough.

See http://cakephp.lighthouseapp.com/projects/42648/tickets/1250-support-for-simpletest-11alpha
for bug and Marks response

I've downloaded and run ST 1.0.1 from their site under the "Older
stable releases" section and it appears to work fine with CakePHP
1.3.5

On Tue, November 2, 2010 1:41 pm, kadanis wrote:

> A bit of further research and I've found a post on the CakePHP bug
> reports regarding this.  The CakePHP dev team know about the issue,
> it's to do with a change in SimpleTest from using $this->ClassName()
> to $this->__construct(), among other things.
>
> As the 1.1alpha version of SimpleTest is still not "entirely" stable,
> Mark Story (from CakePHP dev team) said on the bug tracker that they
> wouldn't be making changes to Cake core files until SimpleTest was in
> stable release.  Which is fair enough.
>
> See
> http://cakephp.lighthouseapp.com/projects/42648/tickets/1250-support-for-simpletest-11alpha
> for bug and Marks response
>
> I've downloaded and run ST 1.0.1 from their site under the "Older
> stable releases" section and it appears to work fine with CakePHP
> 1.3.5

i've done the same making sure i added the arguments.php file to that one
as well.

--
Mike Karthauser
Managing Director - Brightstorm Ltd

Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.brightstorm.co.uk
Tel:  07939 252144 (mobile)
Fax: 0870 1320560

Address: 1 Brewery Court, North Street, Bristol, BS3 1JS

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

huoxito
Hey kadanis thanks for helping with those links, aprecciate it,I
downloaded the 1.0.1 version and after that the arguments.php file
itself and now the test.php page looks ok!

next time i get a problem i'll remind going to cakephp lighthouse
should be really helpful

http://mark-story.com/posts/view/cakephp-and-phpunit , he says that
cake is moving to Php Unit ... hope it will not bring more difficulty
for those who just started with Simple Test

On 2 nov, 12:47, "Mike Karthauser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, November 2, 2010 1:41 pm, kadanis wrote:
> > A bit of further research and I've found a post on the CakePHP bug
> > reports regarding this.  The CakePHP dev team know about the issue,
> > it's to do with a change in SimpleTest from using $this->ClassName()
> > to $this->__construct(), among other things.
>
> > As the 1.1alpha version of SimpleTest is still not "entirely" stable,
> > Mark Story (from CakePHP dev team) said on the bug tracker that they
> > wouldn't be making changes to Cake core files until SimpleTest was in
> > stable release.  Which is fair enough.
>
> > See
> >http://cakephp.lighthouseapp.com/projects/42648/tickets/1250-support-...
> > for bug and Marks response
>
> > I've downloaded and run ST 1.0.1 from their site under the "Older
> > stable releases" section and it appears to work fine with CakePHP
> > 1.3.5
>
> i've done the same making sure i added the arguments.php file to that one
> as well.
>
> --
> Mike Karthauser
> Managing Director - Brightstorm Ltd
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web:http://www.brightstorm.co.uk
> Tel:  07939 252144 (mobile)
> Fax: 0870 1320560
>
> Address: 1 Brewery Court, North Street, Bristol, BS3 1JS

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Error on test.php page, missing arguments.php on Simple Test

kadanis
Hi huoxito

Yes, I've read that post too.  PhpUnit is becoming the defacto test
suite it seems, and it makes sense for Cake to make the switch.  But
as Mark points out, this wont be until version 2.0 which is a way off
in the future.  For now SimpleTest should be fine, and as long as you
try to stick to the Cake conventions for testing, we can hope the
migration path is as painless as possible.

Remember, the Cake test suite wraps SimpleTest, so as long as they can
wrap PhpUnit the same way and expose the same feature set. your
current tests should continue to work.

I think one or two of the comments on the post relate to this very
topic.

Glad you are both up and running now.