Flash Messages Not Showing/Working

mister

I am trying to debug some UPDATE queries but I cant because after the
update i am automatically directed back to the index.  I never see a
flash message so i never get to see any of my debug information.  I
know that if DEBUG is defined as 0, flash messages wont show up, but
currently it is set at 2.  I have also checked my default.thtml file
and my flash.thtml file in the view/layout/ to make sure that they were
ok.

I have:
<?php if($session->check('Message.flash')) $session->flash(); ?>

in my default.thml file.  Any suggestions on how i can get the flash
messages to show up so that i have to click on them before going to the
index.  This would help a lot for debugging.

Thanks.