Quantcast

Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

Abrão Ximenes
Hello, I am very interested to learn cakePHP, can anyone  send the steps to me how to install and configure/setting cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04?

Thanks
Newbie

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

Zaky Katalan-Ezra
install LAMP http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies
Unzip the cakephp where ever you like, home/zaky/cakephpproj/ for example.
under /var/www create a link you your site
cd /var/www
sudo ln -s home/zaky/cakephpproj/ mynewapp

chmod 777 app/tmp

update app/config/database.php with you database details.

http://localhost/mynewapp

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Abrão Ximenes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I am very interested to learn cakePHP, can anyone  send the steps to me how to install and configure/setting cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04?

Thanks
Newbie

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Zaky Katalan-Ezra
QA Administrator
www.IGeneriX.com
Sites.IGeneriX.com
054-7762312

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

leop-3
Installing AMP on Ubuntu is trivial. The confusing part is getting
CakePHP to work. It is not out-of-the-box because the Ubuntu default
Apache config doesn't include mod_rewrite. Even when you have that set
up, there is some Debian-ness to contend with. The trick is finding
the right files to alter and making the right alterations, hence my
earlier post linking to http://leoponton.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-cakephp-up-and-running-on.html.

On 16 June, 10:46, Zaky Katalan-Ezra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> install LAMPhttp://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies
> Unzip the cakephp where ever you like, home/zaky/cakephpproj/ for example.
> under /var/www create a link you your site
> cd /var/www
> sudo ln -s home/zaky/cakephpproj/ mynewapp
>
> chmod 777 app/tmp
>
> update app/config/database.php with you database details.
>
> http://localhost/mynewapp
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Abrão Ximenes <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

> > Hello, I am very interested to learn cakePHP, can anyone  send the steps to
> > me how to install and configure/setting cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04?
>
> > Thanks
> > Newbie
>
> > Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://cakeqs.organd help others
> > with their CakePHP related questions.

> > "CakePHP" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
> > [hidden email]<cake-php%[hidden email]>For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
>
> --
> Regards,
> Zaky Katalan-Ezra
> QA Administratorwww.IGeneriX.com
> Sites.IGeneriX.com
> 054-7762312

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

calvin-6
I dunno, I actually got Cake 1.3 set up on a Ubuntu Server (10.4)
server pretty easily. To enable a module that isn't enabled by
default, just use a2enmod. I didn't realize the Ubuntu Apache package
came with that command, so I actually did it manually at first. I also
wasn't used to the modular configurations, which was different from
how it is in Windows. But it's not too hard to figure out. Actually
hammering out the bugs in gnome and the OS itself was much more
challenging than actually setting up the web server and Cake IMO.

The only advice I have is to look at the modules-available directory
before you try to manually change the config files to enable a module.
A lot of the documentation or articles online have a different name
for the mod_rewrite module than the one that is actually used in
Ubuntu. So if you follow those instructions to add the module
manually, it will throw an error saying the file couldn't be found.
But if you just use a2enmod (which just copies the config file from
modules-available to modules-enabled) to enable mod_rewrite, then it
will work perfectly.

On Jun 16, 3:33 am, leo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installing AMP on Ubuntu is trivial. The confusing part is getting
> CakePHP to work. It is not out-of-the-box because the Ubuntu default
> Apache config doesn't include mod_rewrite. Even when you have that set
> up, there is some Debian-ness to contend with. The trick is finding
> the right files to alter and making the right alterations, hence my
> earlier post linking tohttp://leoponton.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-cakephp-up-and-running-....
>
> On 16 June, 10:46, Zaky Katalan-Ezra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > install LAMPhttp://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies
> > Unzip the cakephp where ever you like, home/zaky/cakephpproj/ for example.
> > under /var/www create a link you your site
> > cd /var/www
> > sudo ln -s home/zaky/cakephpproj/ mynewapp
>
> > chmod 777 app/tmp
>
> > update app/config/database.php with you database details.
>
> >http://localhost/mynewapp
>
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Abrão Ximenes <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > > Hello, I am very interested to learn cakePHP, can anyone  send the steps to
> > > me how to install and configure/setting cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04?
>
> > > Thanks
> > > Newbie
>
> > > Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://cakeqs.organdhelp others
> > > with their CakePHP related questions.

> > > "CakePHP" group.
> > > To post to this group, send email to [hidden email]
> > > [hidden email]<cake-php%[hidden email]>For more options, visit this group at
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Zaky Katalan-Ezra
> > QA Administratorwww.IGeneriX.com
> > Sites.IGeneriX.com
> > 054-7762312

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

leop-3
I didn't know about that command either. However, if you examine the
contents of  modules-enabled, you'll see they're all sLinks. It
doesn't make sense to me to have two copies of the same file in a
situation where and upgrade might change only one of them. That's what
links are for. I didn't have to debug Gnome or the OS for 9.04, 9.10
or 10.04.

On 17 June, 02:54, calvin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I dunno, I actually got Cake 1.3 set up on a Ubuntu Server (10.4)
> server pretty easily. To enable a module that isn't enabled by
> default, just use a2enmod. I didn't realize the Ubuntu Apache package
> came with that command, so I actually did it manually at first. I also
> wasn't used to the modular configurations, which was different from
> how it is in Windows. But it's not too hard to figure out. Actually
> hammering out the bugs in gnome and the OS itself was much more
> challenging than actually setting up the web server and Cake IMO.
>
> The only advice I have is to look at the modules-available directory
> before you try to manually change the config files to enable a module.
> A lot of the documentation or articles online have a different name
> for the mod_rewrite module than the one that is actually used in
> Ubuntu. So if you follow those instructions to add the module
> manually, it will throw an error saying the file couldn't be found.
> But if you just use a2enmod (which just copies the config file from
> modules-available to modules-enabled) to enable mod_rewrite, then it
> will work perfectly.
>
> On Jun 16, 3:33 am, leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Installing AMP on Ubuntu is trivial. The confusing part is getting
> > CakePHP to work. It is not out-of-the-box because the Ubuntu default
> > Apache config doesn't include mod_rewrite. Even when you have that set
> > up, there is some Debian-ness to contend with. The trick is finding
> > the right files to alter and making the right alterations, hence my
> > earlier post linking tohttp://leoponton.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-cakephp-up-and-running-....
>
> > On 16 June, 10:46, Zaky Katalan-Ezra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > install LAMPhttp://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies
> > > Unzip the cakephp where ever you like, home/zaky/cakephpproj/ for example.
> > > under /var/www create a link you your site
> > > cd /var/www
> > > sudo ln -s home/zaky/cakephpproj/ mynewapp
>
> > > chmod 777 app/tmp
>
> > > update app/config/database.php with you database details.
>
> > >http://localhost/mynewapp

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Zaky Katalan-Ezra
> > > QA Administratorwww.IGeneriX.com
> > > Sites.IGeneriX.com
> > > 054-7762312

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

Matthew Powell-3
Right, a2enmod, a2dismod, a2ensite, a2dissite. are, at least as far as
I know, Debian specific scripts to manipulate the apache2
configuration directory.  a2enmod mod_rewrite will get you half-way
there.  You'll also need to modify the default vhost to set
AllowOverride to be on in order for cake's .htaccess file to do its
thing (which I guess has already been discussed in the blog post, but
I'll leave it here for the purpose of documentation).  Be sure to
restart apache after performing these modifications.

Also, a2enmod doesn't copy anything.  Take a closer look at
/etc/apache2/modules-enabled.  Everything in there is a symbolic link,
unless you copied something in there yourself.  You can edit either
/etc/apache2/modules-enabled/BLAH.conf or
/etc/apache2/modules-enabled/BLAH.conf.  They point to the same place
on the disk.

Matt

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:41, leo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't know about that command either. However, if you examine the
> contents of  modules-enabled, you'll see they're all sLinks. It
> doesn't make sense to me to have two copies of the same file in a
> situation where and upgrade might change only one of them. That's what
> links are for. I didn't have to debug Gnome or the OS for 9.04, 9.10
> or 10.04.
>
> On 17 June, 02:54, calvin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I dunno, I actually got Cake 1.3 set up on a Ubuntu Server (10.4)
>> server pretty easily. To enable a module that isn't enabled by
>> default, just use a2enmod. I didn't realize the Ubuntu Apache package
>> came with that command, so I actually did it manually at first. I also
>> wasn't used to the modular configurations, which was different from
>> how it is in Windows. But it's not too hard to figure out. Actually
>> hammering out the bugs in gnome and the OS itself was much more
>> challenging than actually setting up the web server and Cake IMO.
>>
>> The only advice I have is to look at the modules-available directory
>> before you try to manually change the config files to enable a module.
>> A lot of the documentation or articles online have a different name
>> for the mod_rewrite module than the one that is actually used in
>> Ubuntu. So if you follow those instructions to add the module
>> manually, it will throw an error saying the file couldn't be found.
>> But if you just use a2enmod (which just copies the config file from
>> modules-available to modules-enabled) to enable mod_rewrite, then it
>> will work perfectly.
>>
>> On Jun 16, 3:33 am, leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Installing AMP on Ubuntu is trivial. The confusing part is getting
>> > CakePHP to work. It is not out-of-the-box because the Ubuntu default
>> > Apache config doesn't include mod_rewrite. Even when you have that set
>> > up, there is some Debian-ness to contend with. The trick is finding
>> > the right files to alter and making the right alterations, hence my
>> > earlier post linking tohttp://leoponton.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-cakephp-up-and-running-....

> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
> [hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

[hidden email] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Re: Install cakePHP in Ubuntu 10.04

lowpass
On Jun 17, 9:20 am, Matthew Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> a2enmod mod_rewrite will get you half-way

That should be sudo a2enmod rewrite

(no "mod_")

> sudo ln -s home/zaky/cakephpproj/ mynewapp

What I've been doing is moving the cake directory to /usr/share/php so
I have:

/usr/share/php/cake_1.2.7
/usr/share/php/cake_1.3.0

etc. Then I create a link to the one I want to use:

sudo ln -s cake_1.3.0 cake

And modify webroot/index.php accordingly.

/**
 * The absolute path to the "cake" directory, WITHOUT a trailing DS.
 *
 */
        if (!defined('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH')) {
                define('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH', '/usr/share/php/cake');
        }

(Yeah, yeah, I should be using DS, I know.) This presupposes having
CLI access to the production server (eg. a VPS), of course.

> chmod 777 app/tmp

I've found very few instances where I absolutely had to open
permissions wide like that. Again, if CLI access is a given, you can
do:

sudo chown -R www-data app/tmp
sudo chgrp -R [YOUR LOGIN] app/tmp
sudo chmod -R g+ws app/tmp

That'll give the group (you) write permission to all files/
directories, including any new ones that are created.