No mod_rewrite on *nix host

Mike-241

Can someone link me or explain how to handle a web server host that
doesnt have mod_rewrite installed?  I tried uncommenting the

//define ('BASE_URL', $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']);

Line, however nothing seemed to change.  Any thoughts?  Everything else
works fine in my local env.

Re: No mod_rewrite on *nix host

Troy Schmidt

Depends on what kind of host you have.  Some of them that isn't enough
and you have to also delete the .htaccess files (since it reads them
just doesn't honor).  Also, I have one (netfirms) where I have to
explicitly tell it the BASE_URL since it runs PHP in some weird CGI
mode that doesn't report the base_url properly.  There I have to put
define('BASE_URL', '/clients/index.php').

Also, are you sure that mod_rewrite isn't installed?  I have had to put
in RewriteBase / or RewriteBase /clients on some hosts to get them to
work.

So, make sure you are playing around with everything you need to.  I
install my app to the clients directory in the examples above.

On Nov 7, 6:38 pm, "Mike" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can someone link me or explain how to handle a web server host that
> doesnt have mod_rewrite installed?  I tried uncommenting the
>
> //define ('BASE_URL', $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']);
>
> Line, however nothing seemed to change.  Any thoughts?  Everything else
> works fine in my local env.
>
> Thanks,

Re: No mod_rewrite on *nix host

Mike-241

Troy,

I checked the phpinfo() and there was no mod_rewrite.  Do the .htaccess
files cause a problem if there is no mod_rewrite? AKAL should i delete
them?

Mike