Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Hey guys,

I've taken a look at Capistrano and I think that I will use it to deploy my CakePHP apps. I've got a dedicated server and I would like to know if anyone has managed to run PHP and Ruby side-by-side on Apache? (as I will need to use Capistrano).

Thanks in advance!

Marcelo.

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Chris Hartjes

On 10/30/06, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've taken a look at Capistrano and I think that I will use it to deploy my
> CakePHP apps. I've got a dedicated server and I would like to know if anyone
> has managed to run PHP and Ruby side-by-side on Apache? (as I will need to
> use Capistrano).
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hey Marcelo,

We are going to be using Captistrano at my work to deploy projects, so
the two can co-exist.  Please don't confuse Ruby with Ruby on Rails.
Ruby can happily live on a server with PHP, as it's just a programming
language.  Rails is the web framework that sits on top of Ruby.

So, the short story is this:  you can use Capistrano without
configuring your web server to support Ruby on Rails.

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Hi Chris,

I didn't say RoR, only Ruby, I know the difference between them :D

It's nice to know that PHP and Ruby can live together on the same server. Could you point me to a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

On 10/30/06, Chris Hartjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10/30/06, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've taken a look at Capistrano and I think that I will use it to deploy my
> CakePHP apps. I've got a dedicated server and I would like to know if anyone
> has managed to run PHP and Ruby side-by-side on Apache? (as I will need to
> use Capistrano).
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hey Marcelo,

We are going to be using Captistrano at my work to deploy projects, so
the two can co-exist.  Please don't confuse Ruby with Ruby on Rails.
Ruby can happily live on a server with PHP, as it's just a programming
language.  Rails is the web framework that sits on top of Ruby.

So, the short story is this:  you can use Capistrano without
configuring your web server to support Ruby on Rails.

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Chris Hartjes

On 10/30/06, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I didn't say RoR, only Ruby, I know the difference between them :D
>
> It's nice to know that PHP and Ruby can live together on the same server.
> Could you point me to a tutorial on how to do this?

You don't need a tutorial.  Just install Ruby on the target server via
whatever method is available to you, be it by source, package or
one-click installer.  You don't need Apache at all to use Ruby.

Am I missing something here?

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Ah, ok... how dumb .. thanks :)

On 10/30/06, Chris Hartjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10/30/06, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I didn't say RoR, only Ruby, I know the difference between them :D
>
> It's nice to know that PHP and Ruby can live together on the same server.
> Could you point me to a tutorial on how to do this?

You don't need a tutorial.  Just install Ruby on the target server via
whatever method is available to you, be it by source, package or
one-click installer.  You don't need Apache at all to use Ruby.

Am I missing something here?

--
Chris Hartjes

"The greatest inefficiencies come from solving problems you will never have."
-- Rasmus Lerdorf

@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

scott lewis-7
On 30-Oct-2006, at 10:50, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've taken a look at Capistrano and I think that I will use it to
> deploy my CakePHP apps. I've got a dedicated server and I would
> like to know if anyone has managed to run PHP and Ruby side-by-side
> on Apache? (as I will need to use Capistrano).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Marcelo.

There is no need to have ruby on the destination server. Capistrano
runs entirely on your local machine, it connects to the server via
ssh and runs shell commands. All you need on the destination server
is ssh and subversion.

I've got a few notes on deploying Cake apps via Capistrano on my blog
at <http://scotfl.ca/2006/07/25/capistrano-and-cakephp-in-perfect-
harmony/>. I use Cap for deployments, Rake for management, and
Selenium RC and Test::Unit for behaviour testing. Cake and Ruby can
definitely coexist!

hth
scott.

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Using Capistrano> PHP and Ruby side-by-side under Apache

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Hi scott,

Thanks for the explanation!

What about migrations, have you managed to make it work too?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

On 30-Oct-2006, at 19:38, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Hi scott,
>
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> What about migrations, have you managed to make it work too?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to play with migrations and
integrate them into my current workflow.. Currently I just have an
incredibly ugly hack that dumps the local Db to a file under version
control and then loads it into the server with a really ugly custom
remote:migrate task:

task :migrate, :roles => :db do
   run <<-CMD
     mysql -u #{db_name} -p#{db_password} #{db_name} < #{deploy_to}/
current/app/config/sql/db
   CMD
end

It's a case of pounding in finishing nails with a sledgehammer, but
it gets the job done at the moment.

s.

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment