cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Salines
Hello,
after baking new app i see following message on homepage:
-----------------
URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server.

    Help me configure it
    I don't / can't use URL rewriting
-----------------

My app work correctly..

Is there bug or what?

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Aw: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Jens Dittrich
you should actually know if you can use url rewriting or your do not want to use it. So what is it?
Have your read the manual? http://book.cakephp.org ?
You will find the answer there...

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Salines
I am a CakePHP user since version 1.1, my localhost server is working
properly including the URL rewrite. This morning I downloaded last
version of CakePHP and after baking a new App I see the above message.

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Jon Bennett
> I am a CakePHP user since version 1.1, my localhost server is working
> properly including the URL rewrite. This morning I downloaded last
> version of CakePHP and after baking a new App I see the above message.

Sounds like your config isn't checkable somehow by the new 'check for
url rewriting' validation - work out why and file a bug report :)

jon bennett - www.jben.net - blog.jben.net

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Ryan Olton
> Sounds like your config isn't checkable somehow by the new 'check for
> url rewriting' validation - work out why and file a bug report :)

It appears that in the default home.ctp page there is this block of
code just hanging out without any conditional code in place to show or
hide this text ... in other words, you see in to matter what:

color:#fff; padding:3px; margin: 20px 0">
        <?php __('URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server.
'); ?>
        <ol style="padding-left:20px">
                <li>
                        <a target="_blank" href="http://book.cakephp.org/view/917/Apache-
and-mod_rewrite-and-htaccess" style="color:#fff;">
                                <?php __('Help me configure it')?>
                        </a>
                </li>
                <li>
                        <a target="_blank" href="http://book.cakephp.org/view/931/CakePHP-
Core-Configuration-Variables" style="color:#fff;">
                                <?php __('I don\'t / can\'t use URL rewriting')?>
                        </a>
                </li>
        </ol>

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

majna
You need to update webroot/css/cake.generic.css
used by URL rewriting check

#url-rewriting-warning {
        display: none;
}

https://github.com/cakephp/cakephp/blob/1.3/app/webroot/css/cake.generic.css#L538

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

saidbakr
So it is a bug in home.ctp and cake.generic.css and it could be solved
as follows:

add an id tag to the div that includes the rewriting error, the tag
will take the value : id="url-rewriting-warning". then in
cake.generic.css at the end of it add the following rule:
#url-rewriting-warning{
display: none;
}

so if rewrite is going fine, it will load the css file anf hence the
error message will not be displayed.

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Anderson Machado
Hello,

I did it but to no avail. I'm using wamp.

I removed the comment that line: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/
mod_rewrite.so

I observed the following lines:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
#    Order deny,allow
#    Deny from all
</Directory>

Continues to show the error. What can I do?

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Jeremy Burns : Class Outfit
I just experienced this when setting up a new site and concluded that it is not really an error. The default Cake set up has:
  • a generic stylesheet (/app/webroot/css/cake.generic.css)
  • a default layout (/cake/libs/view/layouts) that calls the generic stylesheet
  • a default home page (/cake/libs/view/pages/home.ctp)

The generic home page has an element with an id of 'url-rewriting-warning'. This is hidden by default by a class in the generic stylesheet if:
  • you are using the default layout, home page and style sheet
  • and mod rewrite is working

If mod rewrite is not working, the style sheet will not load and therefore the element will not be hidden, and voila you see the error or if you remove the generic style sheet (as the style sheet is not loading the element will not be hidden).

These defaults are not really intended for production. They are just there to make sure your basic environment is correct.

On 14 Jun 2011, at 19:12, Anderson Machado wrote:

[...]

Thomas Ploch
This message will also appear on fatal errors during home page
rendering.

i.e. the call to check for database connection is sometimes in some
circumstances raising Fatal Errors.

Am Mittwoch, den 22.06.2011, 11:30 +0100 schrieb Jeremy Burns | Class
Outfit:

> I just experienced this when setting up a new site and concluded that
> it is not really an error. The default Cake set up has:
>       * a generic stylesheet (/app/webroot/css/cake.generic.css)
>       * a default layout (/cake/libs/view/layouts) that calls the
>         generic stylesheet
>       * a default home page (/cake/libs/view/pages/home.ctp)
>

> The generic home page has an element with an id of
> 'url-rewriting-warning'. This is hidden by default by a class in the
> generic stylesheet if:
>       * you are using the default layout, home page and style sheet
>       * and mod rewrite is working
>

> If mod rewrite is not working, the style sheet will not load and
> therefore the element will not be hidden, and voila you see the error
> or if you remove the generic style sheet (as the style sheet is not
>

> These defaults are not really intended for production. They are just
> there to make sure your basic environment is correct.
>
> On 14 Jun 2011, at 19:12, Anderson Machado wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I did it but to no avail. I'm using wamp.
> >
> > I removed the comment that line: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/
> > mod_rewrite.so
> >
> > I observed the following lines:
> >
> > <Directory />
> >    Options FollowSymLinks
> >    AllowOverride All
> > #    Order deny,allow
> > #    Deny from all
> > </Directory>
> >
> > Continues to show the error. What can I do?
> >
> > On Jun 8, 8:21 am, saidbakr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > So it is a bug in home.ctp and cake.generic.css and it could be
> > > solved
> > > as follows:
> > >
> > > add an id tag to the div that includes therewritingerror, the tag
> > > will take the value : id="url-rewriting-warning". then in
> > > cake.generic.css at the end of it add the following rule:
> > > #url-rewriting-warning{
> > > display: none;
> > >
> > > }
> > >
> > > so if rewrite is going fine, it will load the css file anf hence
> > > the
> > > error message willnotbe displayed.

> > --
> > Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials
> > http://tv.cakephp.org
> > Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and
> > help others with their CakePHP related questions.

> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials
> http://tv.cakephp.org
> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and
> help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Jeremy Burns : Class Outfit
True, but my point is that this lump of code is only really good while you are making sure your config is OK. Once you know it is (including db connection) you'd remove it and replace it with your own genuine layout, home page and stylesheet, and then handle any errors (such as db connection failure) in another way.

On 22 Jun 2011, at 12:27, Thomas Ploch wrote:

> This message will also appear on fatal errors during home page
> rendering.
>
> i.e. the call to check for database connection is sometimes in some
> circumstances raising Fatal Errors.
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.06.2011, 11:30 +0100 schrieb Jeremy Burns | Class
> Outfit:
>> I just experienced this when setting up a new site and concluded that
>> it is not really an error. The default Cake set up has:
>>      * a generic stylesheet (/app/webroot/css/cake.generic.css)
>>      * a default layout (/cake/libs/view/layouts) that calls the
>>        generic stylesheet
>>      * a default home page (/cake/libs/view/pages/home.ctp)
>>

>> The generic home page has an element with an id of
>> 'url-rewriting-warning'. This is hidden by default by a class in the
>> generic stylesheet if:
>>      * you are using the default layout, home page and style sheet
>>      * and mod rewrite is working
>>

>> If mod rewrite is not working, the style sheet will not load and
>> therefore the element will not be hidden, and voila you see the error
>> or if you remove the generic style sheet (as the style sheet is not
>>

>> These defaults are not really intended for production. They are just
>> there to make sure your basic environment is correct.
>>
>> On 14 Jun 2011, at 19:12, Anderson Machado wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I did it but to no avail. I'm using wamp.
>>>
>>> I removed the comment that line: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/
>>> mod_rewrite.so
>>>
>>> I observed the following lines:
>>>
>>> <Directory />
>>>   Options FollowSymLinks
>>>   AllowOverride All
>>> #    Order deny,allow
>>> #    Deny from all
>>> </Directory>
>>>
>>> Continues to show the error. What can I do?

>>> --
>>> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials
>>> http://tv.cakephp.org
>>> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and
>>> help others with their CakePHP related questions.

>> --
>> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials
>> http://tv.cakephp.org
>> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and
>> help others with their CakePHP related questions.

> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
> Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

ADmad
The new css rule for "#url-rewriting-warning" was added to app/webroot/
cake.generic.css but was it was missing in the skeleton files used for
baking cake/console/templates/skel/webroot/css/cake.generic.css
That's why the warning message incorrectly showed up when you baked an
app. Its fixed now on the 1.3 branch.

To explain how it works that message is present in you cake/libs/view/
pages/home.ctp  in a div with id "url-rewriting-warning". When your
url rewriting is setup properly the cake.generic.css would be loaded
and hide that message. If your url rewriting isn't configured properly
the css file won't be loaded and the message will show up. We had
noticed numerous tickets/posts/questions on IRC from newbies about how
to fix the problem of not getting colors on homepage when setting up
cakephp. So this message was added give them a hint about url
rewriting mis-configuration and pointing to the manual.

- ADmad

On Jun 22, 4:32 pm, Jeremy Burns | Class Outfit
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> True, but my point is that this lump of code is only really good while you are making sure your config is OK. Once you know it is (including db connection) you'd remove it and replace it with your own genuine layout, home page and stylesheet, and then handle any errors (such as db connection failure) in another way.
>
> On 22 Jun 2011, at 12:27, Thomas Ploch wrote:
>

> > This message will also appear on fatal errors during home page
> > rendering.
>
> > i.e. the call to check for database connection is sometimes in some
> > circumstances raising Fatal Errors.
>
> > Am Mittwoch, den 22.06.2011, 11:30 +0100 schrieb Jeremy Burns | Class
> > Outfit:
> >> I just experienced this when setting up a new site and concluded that
> >> it is not really an error. The default Cake set up has:
> >>      * a generic stylesheet (/app/webroot/css/cake.generic.css)
> >>      * a default layout (/cake/libs/view/layouts) that calls the
> >>        generic stylesheet
> >>      * a default home page (/cake/libs/view/pages/home.ctp)
>
> >> The generic home page has an element with an id of
> >> 'url-rewriting-warning'. This is hidden by default by a class in the
> >> generic stylesheet if:
> >>      * you are using the default layout, home page and style sheet
> >>      * and mod rewrite is working
>
> >> If mod rewrite is not working, the style sheet will not load and
> >> therefore the element will not be hidden, and voila you see the error
> >> or if you remove the generic style sheet (as the style sheet is not
>
> >> These defaults are not really intended for production. They are just
> >> there to make sure your basic environment is correct.

> >> --
> >> Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials
> >>http://tv.cakephp.org
> >> Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://ask.cakephp.organd
> >> help others with their CakePHP related questions.

> > --
> > Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorialshttp://tv.cakephp.org
> > Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://ask.cakephp.organd help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

Re: cakephp 1.3.10 - URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server

Vikash Sharma
plz uncomment rewrite in apache config file ..